“Really, Cher?” I hear you saying. “Mug cake? That’s so 2013.”
Perhaps mug cake is a bit past its new and exciting stage. But you know what it also is? Delicious.
I adore mug cakes, and I am not ashamed. Especially since paleo mug cakes have fairly healthy ingredients. Eggs, bananas, a bit of spice for flavoring — these are staples I use just about daily.
(Speaking of spice: I have always wondered: just what the heck is in “spice cake” anyway? I need to investigate. I bet a spice-cake style mug cake would be amazing.)
This recipe is quick and easily adaptable to whatever spice you have on hand. Two things to note:
1) This works best with liquified oil. If using coconut oil, warm it before using so that it isn’t solid.
2)For best results, be sure to mash the heck out of the banana. If you don’t like banana or want to lower the carbs, a thicker applesauce (like my Apple Sassy Applesauce) is a fine substitute.
- 1/2 large banana
- 1 egg
- 2 heaping teaspoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine banana and egg in a large coffee mug; mix thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients, stirring after each addition. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, depending on the power of your device. Serve immediately.